Friday, December 10, 2010

Immigration Follow Up
My fellow classmate brought up the curious case of the ongoing immigration issue in the U.S. I must say, his argument is completely valid and correct. Like my colleague, I too have been on both sides of the argument of illegal immigrants living here in the U.S. I have worked with these people in food-service jobs and some of my family thinks that they pose a threat to us Americans (a bit paranoid to me, but an opinion nonetheless).
My view is a positive one, I do believe that they are good, hard-working people and they just want to be like us citizens but it's just not that easy. Visas and citizenship are hard to achieve for these people (just the U.S. citizenship test alone is ridiculous alone to pass). Most have good intentions about coming here and wanting to have a life that they love, they want to experience the American dream.
I do see the argument about why they can be a problem though. They send their kids to schools that taxpayers pay for and they don't pay those taxes, some have a strong reluctance to learn and/or speak English. They also sneak through our borders with ease (where's the gatekeepers?) and that can lead to overpopulation and other consequences.
I'm not at all against them being here, but it'd be better if the process to become a citizen or obtain a visa were much less difficult. In order to keep the illegal immigration down, we have to compromise and make things more simple for these people. They aren't terrorists or anything, they just want a slice of the pie we Americans get every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment